- Download and Complete: Chapter 1 – Bible Study Lesson
- Pre-Read Scripture for Chapter 1: Genesis 1:1-3:24, Hebrews 4:8-11
- Read Rethinking Rest – Chapter 1 – “Why Rethink Rest”
- Discuss Your Responses to the Chapter – Bible Study Lesson w/ Others
- Discuss Follow-Up Questions for Chapter 1
- Describe the most restful vacation you’ve had. Where did you go? What activities did you do? What made it restful?
- The author suggests the topic of sabbath sometimes lead to cul-de-sac conversations. What does he mean? Do you agree with his conclusion?
- Was there anything surprising to you about what Hebrews 4:8-11 suggests about godly rest?
- According to Genesis 1-3, where was humanity’s place to be, and what was their thing to do? How has your life displayed humanity’s thing to do?
- What are some new thoughts you have about rest as a result of reading the first chapter of this book?
- Watch Rethinking Rest Videos
- Podcast Episodes:
- Donato, Christopher John, Charles P. Arand, Craig L. Blomberg, Skip MacCarty, and Joseph A Pipa. Perspectives on the Sabbath. Nashville, TN: B&H Academic, 2011.
- Walton, John H. The Lost World of Genesis One: Ancient Cosmology and the Origins Debate. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2009.
- Walton, John H. Genesis 1 as Ancient Cosmology. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2011.