Chapter 2 – Reminders of Rest
- Download and Complete: Chapter 2 – Bible Study Lesson
- Pre-Read Scripture for Chapter 2: Exodus 16:1-36, Exodus 20:1-17, Leviticus 23:1-44, Leviticus 25:1-22, Hebrews 11:1-40
- Read Rethinking Rest – Chapter 2 – “Reminders of Rest”
- Reference the Electronic Endnotes for Chapter 2.
- Discuss Your Responses to the Chapter – Bible Study Lesson w/ Others
- Discuss Follow-Up Questions for Chapter 2
- According to this chapter, what are the different reminders of rest that God gave humanity?
- What ideas about the fourth commandment were discussed in this chapter? Were any of those new concepts for you?
- How is it that the Year of Jubilee was supposed to mimic the original restful rule in Eden? Which elements of that celebration would be most inviting for you if it was celebrated today in your country?
- The author suggests the law contains an “ever-expanding portrayal of what rest originally was”. What does he mean? Do you agree with his conclusion?
- What do you think about the idea of Heaven eventually being life on the Earth with work to do? Does this differ from other descriptions of Heaven you’ve heard?
- Watch Rethinking Rest Class Videos
- Listen to Rethinking Rest Class Audio:
Week 2, Session 1 – What Did God Do On the 8th Day? (7:39)
Week 2, Session 2 – This Isn’t the Way It’s Supposed to Be (8:31)
Week 2, Session 3 – Reminders of Rest (25:56)
- Podcast Episodes:
- GIFT OF REST (13 min) – Reflections Podcast – BibleProject
- 7TH DAY REST PODCAST SERIES – BibleProject – Episode 1 – Gospel of the Kingdom Series
- E6 – THE SEVEN FESTIVALS (67 min) – BibleProject – Episode 6 – 7th Day Rest – Sabbath
- E8 – JUBILEE: THE RADICAL YEAR OF RELEASE (58 min) – BibleProject – Episode 8 – 7th Day Rest – Sabbath
- Secondary Videos:
- How to Pronounce Willamette Valley – David Adelsheim – Adelsheim Farms