April 21-23, 2023 – Brown County Inn
Gregory D. Hall – [email protected]
I’d love for this weekend to be a conversation, so feel free to raise your hand, email/text, or pull me aside at any point. – Greg
Friday PM Session
Rethinking Biblical Rest
1. Biblical rest shouldn’t be a cul-de-sac conversation.
2. How Ancient Near Eastern (ANE) studies have changed the landscape of rest.
3. What does it mean to bear someone’s image?
- Describe the most restful vacation you’ve had. Where did you go? What activities did you do? What made it restful?
- Greg suggested idea of sabbath rest can sometimes lead to “cul-de-sac conversations.” Has this been your experience?
- According to Genesis 1-3, where was humanity’s place to be, and what was their thing to do?
- How has your life displayed humanity’s thing to do?
- What are some new thoughts or questions you have about rest as a result of tonight’s discussion?
Saturday AM Session
Rethinking Jesus and the Sabbath
- Let’s consider what it means to fulfill something?
- In what ways did Jesus interact with the topic of rest?
- How has Jesus’ offer of rest been misunderstood?
- How did Greg describe Jesus’ fulfillment of the Old Testament? Have you’ve thought about Jesus’ ministry in that way before?
- Was there anything new for you in the discussion about Jesus reading from the book of Isaiah in the synagogue in Nazareth?
- In Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus’ offer of rest was given with a “yoke analogy”. What did you learn about yokes from this morning’s discussion?
- What would it look like for you to fully step under Jesus’ yoke?
- How did Greg describe Jesus’ “Lord of the Sabbath” claim? Does that understanding change your idea of sabbath at all?
Rethinking Rest – Chapter 4 Resources
Saturday PM Session
What Remains of Rest? (Hebrews 3-4)
- How does Hebrews 3-4 factor into the rest discussion?
- What are the Co-dependent relationships within this passage?
- What do the tests given to the Ancient Israelites have to do with our rest?
- Describe what is meant by the phrase “Biblical Co-Dependency”. How are you at recognizing these types of relationships when you read the Bible?
- Can you think of a time you cried out to the Lord because you needed help?
- To what did the author suggest grumbling and complaining was linked? What have you grumbled about in the last week?
- How has God shown Himself faithful in your life? What was your response when He tested you?
- Are there any areas in your life where God has tested you more than once?
Sunday AM Session
Sweet Spots & The Signs of the Covenant
- All of us have “sweet spots” in our life… and they constantly change.
- How can we test the waters of rest?
- How can we encourage those we shepherd to better display God’s image and the covenantal “signs” He has given?
- Greg introduced the idea of “sweet spots”. How would you describe that concept? What have been some sweet spots in your life?
- Give some examples of how you’ve pivoted between sweet spots in your past.
- Greg talked about the idea of “testing the waters” of rest. How would you describe that process? Describe an opportunity, you have right now in your life, where you could incorporate this concept?
- Do you have any new thoughts or perspectives about communion and baptism as “signs” of the New Covenant?
Who is Greg Hall? I’m a husband to Lisa, my high-school sweetheart, and father to two fine young men. I host the Rethinking Scripture Podcast (and RethinkingScripture.com). I’ve been a college athlete, public school teacher, real estate broker, triathlete, small-business owner, pastor, tour-leader to Israel, and university professor. This medley of life-experiences has meshed nicely with my biblical training producing a unique perspective on some of life’s most important themes. I teach whenever I can, enjoy swimming laps, and don’t spend enough time at the Oregon coast.
Please reach out to me via email or text with any follow-up thoughts or questions.
Gregory D. Hall
Have you ever wanted to visit the land of the Bible?
Check out all the details on the ISRAEL TRIP INFORMATION PAGE